Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Down by the Riverside

Several months ago, Carter came to us and asked about being baptized.  We talked with him, as well as Luke, about what is means to be baptized.

Friday July 20, they were baptized in the Potomac River.  We hosted family and friends at the Jenkins Farm.
Our friend (and pastor) Jeff Blizzard led the baptism.  He has known the boys for a few years and helped coach them in soccer.  Jeff, his boys, Jeremy and our boys hang out often; whether out to eat or watching sports, etc.  Jeff and his family are great friends to our family.
Carter shared the testimony he wrote and his favorite verses.
Carter's words as he wrote them:
I want to be baptized to tell everyone that I asked Jesus into my heart.  That I need him because I'm a sinner and He died for my sins.  I know I'm going to heaven.  In January of 2010, I gave my life to Jesus our Savior.  I will live my life for him.  Why is it important to have Jesus in my life?  He loves me more than I could ever understand.  He's the most powerful in the universe.


Psalm 25:4-5
Show your ways o Lord, teach me your paths; Guide me in your truth for you are my God, my Savior and my hope is in you all day long.


Psalm 86:11-12
Teach me your way, o Lord
I will walk in your truth;
Unite my heart to fear your name.
I will praise you o Lord my God with all my heart.
I will glorify your name forever.

Luke shared the testimony he wrote and his favorite verses.
Luke's words as he wrote them.
I want to baptized because I want to show people that I believe in Jesus and He died for me.
I konw that I am going to Heaven because I asked Jesus into my heart.
I asked Jesus into my heart July 2011.  I want Jesus in my life so he can protect me.  he saved me.  I can talk to him.  he makes me feel better.


Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord
with all your heart
and lean not on
your own understanding


Philippians 4:4
Rejoice in the Lord always.
I will say it again: Rejoice!

Phil 4:4 has always been Luke's favorite verse.  It is always that first one he will recite for anyone.  It so suits him, he has always had such joy in his heart and rejoicing comes naturally.  True to Luke's form, he was playing in the river before the baptism and his paper with his testimony got wet and shredded so he need a little help from daddy to put hold the pieces together for him to read.
 After the baptism, we headed to the farm house for some good BBQ.
The evening was beautiful despite the rain, a light drizzle coming down.  Which made the trail to the river a bit interesting.  A few people walked the muddy hill, some rode in the rhino (ATV like, with more seats), the kids all piled into the back of a truck (and some adults), while others rode in the cab of the truck.  Several trips up and down the hill to the river and everyone was situated...a bit wet, but situated.

As we dined on some good BBQ, the kids played all around (even some fishing).  Everyone was happy with the day and very muddy.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Carrie, what an amazing story, my children 8 and 11 are ready to be baptized as well, we hope we can share a similar story soon.

Melissa said...

So Sweet and special. Carrie and Jeremy, you are such an inspiration. Your boys are blessed by your guidance and faith.